Friday, November 18, 2011

Spun Silver

This my my lament of Spun Silver Belfast linen. You are looking at my last piece of it. It is about 7 inches by 3.5 inches. I have been hoarding a larger piece for years but recently stitched a little something on it and now this is all I have remaining. It was discontinued many moons ago but being a skilled stasher I was able to use it wisely on pieces which it really enhanced. Blues, purples and greens really sing to me on this fabric. And the way it feels in hand is something just short of heavenly. I hope always for its return but with all the tans and coffee colors being so popular I fear we will not see a recovery of this gentle beauty. The grays linens are too heavenly and deep in color and the blue linens are just too blue and overtake the other colors. Spun silver allows the design to be highlighted and enhances the threads rather than overpower them. Platinum is the sister fabric to this if you are trying to picture it in your mind the subtle tans versus the subtle silver grays and a loose silky weave of fabric. I am sure by now you have figured out I could go on about this for a while. I'll stop so as not torture any remaining readers but I just felt my favorite linen deserved a fond fairwell.

Thanks for stopping by,
Pam

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabric I would have loved, too. I'll join you in a moment of silence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know our love for this fabric. Can't wait to see how you use the little bit left.
    Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh dear ... pity you can't still get it .. would have loved to have tried it after your prose on it :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a beautiful color, it's a shame it was discontinued.

    ReplyDelete